Senior Advisor Strategic Advice (OPCAT) | Wellington
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| 2019 Senior Advisor Strategic Advice JD.pdf (PDF, 582KB)
|Application Close Date:||13-Nov-2019|
Senior Advisor Strategic Advice (OPCAT)
The Chief Ombudsman is designated to carry out responsibilities under the United Nations Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture (OPCAT). These responsibilities are to inspect and monitor the treatment of people in health and disability places of detention (including private sector aged care facilities), prisons, immigration detention facilities, child care and protection residences, youth justice residences, and court cells across New Zealand.
With growth and change in the Chief Ombudsman's OPCAT designations, we need additional support for strategic advice in this area. We currently have two vacancies for permanent Senior Advisors in the Strategic Advice Team, with a particular emphasis on supporting our OPCAT function. Reporting to the Manager Strategic Advice, the Strategic Advisors will work with the Principal Advisor (OPCAT) in delivering senior level advisory support and assistance across a range of OPCAT matters, including policy, practice, peer review and training. As Senior Advisor, this is an opportunity to position the Ombudsman to achieve impactful outcomes for people in places of detention.
What you will bring:
- A relevant tertiary qualification, preferably in public or administrative law or related discipline;
- Experience in human rights law and/or a background in the corrections or health and disability sector;
- Experience providing advisory services in an investigative, arbitration, mediation, monitoring and/or inspections environment, preferably at a senior level;
- Demonstrated experience of reviewing and designing policy and practice and delivering training;
- Excellent writing skills and strong research and analytical skills.
So, if you have a passion for helping people and want to be part of fulfilling our purpose of fairness for all, go ahead, have a read of the job description, and apply now!
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now' button where you will need to register through our online career centre, complete our application form and upload your CV and cover letter. For further information about this vacancy, please email: email@example.com
Depending on skills and experience, the salary is expected to be $94,000 to $124,000.
Applications close 5pm Wednesday, 13 November 2019.